SoBe & FIU
One of the country’s most prestigious gourmet gatherings, the Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine & Food Festival provides real-world opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in hospitality, including staffing the star-studded events and working alongside the world’s best culinary talent and food and beverage industry leaders. Additionally, it has raised more than $26 million since 2002 in support of the school, including student scholarships, construction of state-of-the-art facilities, faculty advancement, and education innovation in the fields of hospitality and tourism management.
We serve a diverse community of students:
- 61% Hispanic
- 15% White Non-Hispanic
- 13% Black
- 4% Asian or Pacific Islander
- 7% other minority groups
In 1965, Florida Senator Robert M. Haverfield introduced Senate Bill 711, which instructed the state Board of Education and the Board of Regents (BOR) to begin planning for the development of a state university in Miami.
An abandoned airfield is an unusual place for the birth of a university. But in the summer of 1969, founding FIU president Chuck Perry gathered three leaders who would help him create his vision.
Butler Waugh, Donald McDowell and Nick Sileo joined the 31-year-old Perry at Tamiami Airport and set up shop in the former air traffic controllers’ tower. The tower had no phones, no drinkable water and no furniture. President Perry decided that the control tower should never be destroyed and so it remains standing today at the center of campus, as FIU’s Ivory Tower.
From that single building on that abandoned airfield, FIU has grown to be one of the largest universities in the country. The spirit of entrepreneurship born on that summer day thrives at today’s FIU.
- #7 International Business undergraduate program; U.S. News & World Report‘s Best Colleges of 2018
- #1 Online Hospitality Management program; College Choice ranked a number of FIU’s online programs among the best in the country
- #1 Online Psychology program; College Choice ranked a number of FIU’s online programs among the best in the country
- #3 Online Criminal Justice program; BestColleges.com
- #2 Model United Nations team in North America in 2017. FIU’s team beat out every Ivy League team in the country; Best Delegate, the organization that ranks Model UN teams based on performance