At Auguston Traditional Elementary School we will endeavour to:
- empower children to become contributing, productive citizens through a consistent, structured environment
- provide a nurturing environment to encourage children to develop their individual potential and the confidence to achieve their goals
- emphasize basic skills and the achievement of curricular outcomes in an environment based on the traditional values of citizenship, responsibility, and respect
- ensure a shared sense of mission and purpose among staff, parents, and students
1. Establish a strong and consistent focus on the “Traditional” methods of instruction which include:
- a major focus on content and skills development
- emphasis on all aspects of language development including phonics, spelling grammar, and whole language
- differentiation of subjects with some coordination between topics
- prescribed scope and sequence
- standardized tests with authentic (performance) assessment
- letter grades (in grades 4 and 5) with purposeful anecdotal reporting
- direct instruction combined with some active and cooperative learning
- competition through academic achievement, citizenship, and athletic awards
- teacher role as supervisor of learners
- professional, collegial and collaborative relationships
2. Set high goals of academic achievement, and encourage a sense of educational commitment and purpose.
3. Establish a regular homework policy and schedule.
4. Establish a clearly defined code of behaviour.
5. Encourage a parental sense of mission and purpose. Encourage parental involvement, with the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) taking an advisory role in aspects pertaining to education.
6. Create a team approach of home and school working together.
7. Establish a safe and enjoyable school environment for all students.
8. Operate under a catchment policy with priority given to students living within the Auguston development.
9. Promote school spirit and encourage a positive learning environment through supporting a school dress code.